Monday, December 15, 2008

Mrika Hajeedar: Young mom who paints

MRIKA HAJEEDAR TALKS ABOUT HERSELF AND HER ART

What triggered me to start painting: Being a full-time stay-home mom, it does get a tad bit tiring. To keep things sane and happy, I chose to do something more for myself whenever I had that bit more of a 'free time'. I dabble around with designing and making cards, painting and just creating patterns on the laptop. These to me are my creative outlet, if you like, and my time to unwind. Often though, you'll find me just doodling away on scraps of papers; doodles which supposedly will evolve into some bigger, more permanent piece(s) of art.



My art background: One of my fondest childhood memories is of my dad bringing us out for Sunday lunch and then to the National Art Gallery or some other art exhibition venue. It was almost a weekly routine so much so that it bore us kids a bit at some point, I'm sure. But knowing my dad himself had his paintings displayed at the National Art Gallery inspired me to keep my eyes open and enjoy the visits we made. Over the years, the gentle exposure and encouragement to appreciate art from both my parents fostered the strong interest I have today. And for that, I am truly grateful to be born into an art-loving family.

With an initial plan to go into architecture school, I took up Art as a subject for both the GCSEs and the A-Levels. My art tutor was great and he inspired and encouraged me further to pursue art. Just generally, in life. I remember him saying how I may not end up doing what I originially set myself to do (ie: to be an architect), but I will definitely do something creative and most likely working on smaller more intricate pieces with an eye on pattern work. He couldn't have been more spot-on!

When I got pregnant with my 1st child, the desire to paint came about again, after a long break from paints, brushes and canvas and/or paper. I started painting postcard-sized patterns. It was nice just playing and experimenting with colours an brush strokes.

Today, I'm mostly inspired to create art pieces to grace a child's bedroom or playroom, or to welcome in a new baby in his/her nursery.

If I were to desribe my (painting and design)work in 3 words, it'll be spontaneous, colourful and unfussy.

You can view Mrika's work and her inspirations @ http://mommylovespatterns.blogspot.com/

Her mood swings collection will be available for sale at ARTrage Lab @ Soho KL this weekend!

No comments: